A support group, which is run by a mental health professional, can play an important role in times of stress. A social support network is something you can develop when you are not under stress, providing the comfort of knowing that your friends are there if you need them. There are several benefits of participating in support groups such as:
- Feeling of isolation gets reduced.
- You can gain a sense of empowerment and control
- You can improve your coping skills and sense of adjustment
- You can talk openly and honestly about your feelings
- It reduces your stress, depression and anxiety
- It helps in developing a clear understanding of what to expect from your situation
- You can easily get practical advice or information about treatment options if you need any